Ports of Debian and CentOS Linux
for MIPS64 Network Processors: OCTEON, OCTEON-TX, XLP
Paxym Inc. Services division has ported multiple versions of Debian Linux OS Distribution and CentOS distribution for its Customers onto various MIPS64 based Network Processors. These custom ports supported full SMP, or ASMP (Control-Plane + Data-Plane split) for high performance Network stacks or Security application implementations. The ports were fully verified, tested with Linux Test Projects and provided an easy replacment of SDK distribution from the semi-conductor vendors of these MIPS64 Multicore Processors including OCTEON, OCTEON-TX, XLP, XLR etc. The porting work was further enhanced by inclusion of optimized libc, native tool-chain and custom device drivers for these customers. In addition PXE-Boot and NFS booting options were developed and integrated for the specific business requirement.
As part of SW consultancy services, we prepare specific Kernel version of Customer's choice, with desired combination of libraries. We have experience porting and bundling Linux Kernel with key tools, Customer applicationn, packages from Debian distribution with select libraries to deliver a card or appliance based working solution.
Debian, is a Linux distribution composed of free and open-source software, developed by the community-supported Debian Project. It is one of the most popular edition for personal computers and Servers, and is the basis for many other distributions.
CentOS, is an Open Source community replica of RedHat Enterprise Linux . CentOS and RHEL are the preferred Operating Systems for vendors shipping products for the Enterprise market. Stability, Reliability and Excellent support via a multitude of Support vendors makes CentOS a true Business platform. CentOS is for people who need an enterprise class operating system stability without the cost of certification and support.
Real-Time Kernel patches for Mission Critical Scenarios, ZOL (zero-overhead Linux) for High Performance User Apps, are also some of the OS options that we worked out for our past customers.
- MIPS ABIs o32, n32, n64.
- SMP Support for Multicore CPUs.
- Both Big-Endian and Little Endian support.
- Supports Root File System on NAND, CF, Embedded MFS, NFS. IDE etc.
- Boot via PXE-Boot or BOOTP/DHCP/NFS combination.
- Asymmetric Multi-Processing: Supports Control / Data plane split model
- FileSize and Memory Footprint reduction.
- Optional: Real-Time Kernel config options
- Optional: Zero Overhead Linux.
- Optional: DPDK integration.
- CentOS version: based Version 5.1, 6.0 and Version 7.0
- CentOS RPM Packages: Special build machinery to rebuild all relevant RPMs
- Debian version: 5.0 Lenny, 6.0 Squeeze
- Debian APT packages: both .deb binary and .dsc source packages
Customization / Additional Integration:
Maintenance and Support services available along with initial Porting tasks.
Custom Kernel changes, Kernel Modules, Linux Application software development services.
Bare-Metal (simple Exec, MCEE) Data-Plane application developoment and integration for Hybrid solutions.
Mainly the GNU General Public License and various others Open Source lincenses.